Studied: Joel 1; Joel 2
- Joel 1:14 ~ Tell the leaders and people to come together at the temple. Order them to go without eating and to pray sincerely.
- Joel 2:12 ~
The LORD said: it isn’t too late. You can still return to me with all your heart. Start crying and mourning! Go without eating.
- This is interesting seeing what Joel ordered the leaders to do here. Just this past Wednesday evening we studied about fasting, and here it is again in this passage. Joel saw such a desperate need for the leaders to seek God’s ear until he urged them to make prayer a very high priority, even more so than food itself. I can think of several situations in our world today that require our urgent attention. In my situation, I feel like prayer is urgently needed for the local churches. Like our church, so are several around really hurting right now. As a Christian, it appears like we are losing the battle to the devil, and that the things and places of this world are attracting our people more so than the importance of meeting together with other believers. 2 Chronicles 7:14 reminds us that: if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Such important keywords in this verse: humble, pray, seek and turn. We often become frustrated over the condition of our world, but God gives us the answers on how these matters can be resolved, all we have to do is listen and obey!
- I thank God that He allows us to come back to Him to seek His face and petition before Him. From a worldly position, we would have written some folk off a long time ago because of things they may have said or done, however God is always working on us to live more noble lives for Him. Again this verse tells us to forget about food and concentrate on getting ourselves right with God, an action that should always have more priority than anything else. God has provided the way, the means and the book of instructions on how to get to a right place with Him, what excuse can we possibly have for not following Him for the rest of our lives? There’s a song whose lyrics read in part, “I want to be just like You”. Why don’t we put food aside and concentrate on that thought today? Being just like Christ will mean riding ourselves of actions and words that displease God; mending friendship and relationships that may currently not be in order; putting Christ first in our decision making, planning, worship and daily decisions; and with His help, seek to be more like Him in our actions and through the words that we speak. Let ‘love’ rule our lives!
- Lord, You have opened my eyes of understanding to remind me of what is needed to see things changed in my life, and in the lives of Your people. May this be the day that things will change for Your kingdom’s sake. Please begin a new work in me so that I may be more urgently about Your work.
- Lord, Your Word is powerful and it has spoken to me in very practical ways this morning. I can only be the kind of person that imitates You, if I truly allow You to control everything about my life. Again I pray that as I call on Your name, humble myself, pray, seek Your face and turn from my wicked way, that You will hear from heaven, forgive my sin and heal this old world that I live in. Please have Your will and way today dear Lord!