Studied: 2 Kings 1; 2 Kings 2; 2 Kings 3; Psalm 82; 1 Timothy 1
- 2 Kings 1:16 ~ When Elijah arrived, he told Ahaziah, “The LORD wants to know why you sent messengers to Ekron to ask Baalzebub about your injury. Don’t you believe there’s a God in Israel? Ahaziah, because you did that, the LORD says you will die.”
- 1 Timothy 1:5 ~ You must teach people to have genuine love, as well as a good conscience and true faith.
- 1 Timothy 1:12-14 ~ I thank Christ Jesus our Lord. He has given me the strength for my work because he knew that he could trust me. I used to say terrible and insulting things about him, and I was cruel. But he had mercy on me because I didn’t know what I was doing, and I had not yet put my faith in him. Christ Jesus our Lord was very kind to me. He has greatly blessed my life with faith and love just like his own.
- I find it interesting in our world today that folk will leave their homes and travel hundreds of miles in order to be prayed over by a TV Evangelist. The same God that this evangelist is praying to is the same God that we can pray to not matter where we are, and we have the same access to God as any other human being. I know that desperate people will do desperate things, and I know that in this particular verse God was upset because Ahaziah sent men to Ekron to have a worldly god, Baalzebub, to pray for him, instead of calling the elders of the church together to pray to the one Holy God, but I just felt like God is also saying that we should take our burdens, concerns, illness, etc. to God where we are at, and stop putting so much faith in people of this world that claim to have some special power to heal. Only God can heal, and we are His children who have a direct line of communication to Him through His Son, Jesus.
- This verse, with instructions given to Timothy by Paul, sounds like it would make an excellent church mission statement. Teach people to have genuine love for Christ and others; Ensure that our conscience is so attuned to the mind of Christ that we will treat all people as a genuine child of the King, and a desire and striving for true faith so that we may go confidently before a living, loving and holy God with all things, having the faith/confidence to know that all things are possible with God. As fellow Christians, we need a church body with that kind of faith/confidence. As a lost world, folk will watch us and come to a church where they feel like Christians believe, live and practice true faith in the Christ that we worship and pray to, otherwise all we offer them is ‘lip service’.
- Like Paul, I thank God daily that He trusts me and has given me strength and fortitude to do my work for the kingdom and for His glory. There is so much more to be done and so many people that need to know the Savior of this world. May God find dedicated and willing servants to spread the word and exemplify Him in our daily lives.
- I know that this seems a bit controversial today, but I thank You Father for reminding me that while I might ask others to pray with me over a special need in my life, You are truly the source of all power, and that I have direct access to that power through the blood of Jesus. Please help me to always look to You for all my needs, knowing that You will meet my needs and bring about healing in Your time.
When I refer to ‘the church’, I am a part of that, so Lord I pray this morning that:
- I may be so in tuned with You and have such a relationship with You, and
- I will be so filled with genuine love and always have a good conscience about the things of Christ and the needs of others, and
- My faith in You will always be so strong, that I may come confidently before Your throne, and
- I can exhibit these characteristics so boldly that teaching these to others will be easily accepted.
Please help me to follow these commands that You have shown me this morning in this verse, each and every day of my life.
- Thank You Jesus for using even me to participate in Your work here on earth. I pray that I will always seek Your presence and direction to make me worthy of the call on my life. May You be honored from my humble efforts that seem so little compared to the great work and sacrifice that You exampled for me. I love You Lord and place myself at your disposal for Your kingdom’s sake.