Scripture: Genesis 41
(What is God saying here?)
38 So Pharaoh asked his officials, “Can we find anyone else like this man so obviously filled with the spirit of God?” Gen 41:38 (NLT)
(How Can I apply what God is saying here to my circumstances today?)
This is a phrase that I don’t believe that we should ever let come out of our mouths about ourselves, because had it not been for the grace of God, we would be nothing to brag about. I believe that what Pharaoh saw was God’s power at work, and because Joseph was humble and obedient to allow God to work through him, he received credit from Pharaoh for being ‘Obviously Filled with the Spirit’. Friends, when we can put self aside, and when we can place our faith totally in God and allow Him to accomplish His will in our lives, to such an extent that others will see Jesus instead of our weak and faulty selves, then they will acknowledge that it is Jesus/His Holy Spirit that is working in us. In other words, they will realize that we must be ‘Obviously Filled With The Spirit’. This will only happen when they not see any selfish motives or pride evident in us. A preacher I once knew pasted these words on his pulpit that I believe sums up my thoughts here: “Oh That They May See Jesus”.
(With God’s help, what am I going to do differently today because He said it?)
Father, my desire is that those that I come in contact with may see Jesus in my words, my actions and in my demeanor. Please remind me of this when I am tempted to be selfish, prideful or promoting self.
A Quality of a Mature, Reproducing Disciple of Jesus Christ
Studied: Eph. 4:15, 2 Cor. 3:18, Gal. 5:22–23, Matt. 22:37–39
OBSERVATION (What is God saying here?)
- Truthful – Ephesians 4:15 ~ Love should always make us tell the truth. Then we will grow in every way and be more like Christ, the head
- Facial Expression – 2 Corinthians 3:18 ~ So our faces are not covered. They show the bright glory of the Lord, as the Lord’s Spirit makes us more and more like our glorious Lord.
- Fruit of the Spirit – Galatians 5:22-23 ~
But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness, gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge].
- Love God and Neighbors – Matthew 22:37-39 ~ And He replied to him, you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind (intellect). This is the great (most important, principal) and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as [you do] yourself.
APPLICATION (How Can I apply what God is saying here to my circumstances today?)
- Truthful – Our love for, and respect of, the One that we serve, Jesus, should force us to be like, and do just like, Jesus. He always told the truth and so should we. Then according to this verse, we will be more complete in growing to be more like Jesus, our Savior and soon coming King.
- Facial Expression – I believe that if my mind is centered on the glorious Savior that I love and adore and who blesses me so immensely every day, then my heart will be overjoyed and my face will surely express that joy that I feel. As a child I sang a chorus ‘I have the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart’, and having that kind of joy in my heart should always reflect in my facial expression. It is almost impossible to have the ‘joy, joy, joy, joy’ in my heart, but yet a sour/unhappy expression on my face. This verse says that having this type of joy to where it is expressed on our faces, makes us more like our glorious Lord!
- Fruit of the Spirit – I love how the writer says that there is no law against any of these fruit being expressed in and through us, and what is amazing is that even today there is still no law against reflecting these character qualities. These are qualities of Jesus our Savior. These are fruit of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us when we accept Jesus as our personal Savior. If we struggle with any of these, I believe that we need to go back to the cross and make sure that everything is right in that decision that we thought we first made, because I don’t believe that the Holy Spirit will mess up in not reflecting the ‘fruit’ qualities.
- Love God and Neighbors – I love the way that the Amplified Bible emphasizes that our love for God is the first, the great, most important and principal commandment! Wow, that really sums it up on where our allegiance belongs! Of course, additional emphasis is on loving God with everything we have within us – heart, soul and mind. But the later part of this Scripture goes even deeper, because it says that we should similarly love our neighbor (those that we come into contact with daily – those that we should be neighborly to). I believe that this is a lot more challenging, because these ‘neighbors’ sometimes lie, backbite, or even try to harm us, yet God says in His Word that we must love them with all of our heart, soul and mind, in the same way that we love Him and strive to be a reflection of Him.
PRAYER (With God’s help, what am I going to do differently today because He said it?)
All of the above are very tall orders dear God, and I acknowledge today that I can only accomplish these with Your love, strength and guidance. I want to reflect You though my every word and action. Please be my constant guide and director each and every day. Please give me strength and determination to reflect You in every circumstance. Lord, may my life be fallow ground in which Your Holy Spirit will find freedom to reflect all the Fruit of the Spirit, so that You may receive honor and glory.