Bible Reference: Ezekiel 18:30–32
Bible Text: 30 I will judge each of you for what you’ve done. So stop sinning, or else you will certainly be punished. 31 Give up your evil ways and start thinking pure thoughts. And be faithful to me! Do you really want to be put to death for your sins? 32 I, the LORD God, don’t want to see that happen to anyone. So stop sinning and live!
Bible Translation: The Contemporary English Version (CEV)
I want to try something a little different today in my blog, as I want to illustrate the various ways that we are held accountability, and the subsequent results, so that together we will get a better understanding why God also holds us accountable:
- Unless we take our roles seriously, and treat each one appropriately with love, respect, care and understanding, we could very easily lose our spouse or our children or even our parents. We are accountable to each other, or we lose them;
- For the safety of our homes, we lock doors and windows, and some may even have alarm systems. Unless we take time to do these things, we could attract robbers and wind up with injuries or losing the contents of our home;
- Unless we follow the rules and expectations of our employer, we could very easily wind up losing our jobs. We are accountable to them for satisfactory work, in return for the right of being paid a salary;
- Pastors and leaders have a responsibility to God to preach the Word and provide opportunity for their congregation to worship God. Failing to take this responsibility seriously could lead to personal discipline from God, but also result in losing the church because of missed opportunities to meet the needs of members and/or followers;
- In the verses we are looking at this morning, God said that if we continue on sinning, we will be punished, and this may even lead to death;
- God also said that unless we start thinking pure and upright thoughts, we will sin and it will lead to His strong hand of discipline.
Friends, God is not pulling any punches here. He is very forthcoming in telling us that the consequences for our evil thoughts and our sin will lead to eternal death (Hell with Satan). Jesus provided for us the way of redemption, which is the way to eternal life and the glories of heaven with He and the Father. It just don’t get any better than that! So why not hold yourself accountable to doing the right thing. Accept the love offered by God. Ask Jesus to be your Savior and Lord, and aim to live victoriously in His grace and wondrous love. This can happen today friend! In fact, you are not promised a minute after the very time that you ready this blog, for we are promised only the very moment in which we find ourselves. The next minute could find you standing before the throne being held accountability for your decisions made here on earth. Make it count friend, and do the right thing – now, while you have the opportunity.
Father, You’ve given us the rules for this life that could result in where we will spend the next life. Having also given us the will to make our own decisions, You hold us accountable for the choices that we make. Please speak to those who know you already, but that You are holding accountable to live the life prescribed in Your Word. Please also speak to those You have created and made Your Word available to them, but they have rejected it and continue to live in sin. Please encourage each one today with the truth of Your Word, and help us to make appropriate decisions that will draw us closer to You. I ask these things believing with all my heart that You can do all things! AMEN!
If you have been challenged to make a decision today after reading this devotional, please speak with a local Bible Teaching Pastor, or contact me at NuggetsFromGodsWord@outlook.com. Allow someone to pray with you and give you help and/or encouragement as you begin, or continue your walk with Jesus. Words underlined in my blog could indicate a link to a song that came to mind as I wrote the devotional. Feel free to click on the link and listen as you continue to read or pray. If this devotional was forwarded to you and you would like to see more, please go to www.nuggetsfromgodsword.org and read more, or you may freely to subscribe for a daily email conveniently containing each day’s devotional. If you are anywhere near the Highlands County, Florida area and do not have a church home, I would be thrilled to welcome you at Bible Fellowship Church, located at 3750 Hammock Rd, Sebring, FL 33872! Click the link to check out service times and/or other special activities. God is at work among us! Please consider coming to worship with us!