Bible Reference: Colossians 1:9-14
Bible Text: 9 …. we have kept on praying and asking God to help you understand what he wants you to do; asking him to make you wise about spiritual things; 10 and asking that the way you live will always please the Lord and honor him, so that you will always be doing good, kind things for others, while all the time you are learning to know God better and better. 11 We are praying, too, that you will be filled with his mighty, glorious strength so that you can keep going no matter what happens—always full of the joy of the Lord, 12 and always thankful to the Father who has made us fit to share all the wonderful things that belong to those who live in the Kingdom of light. 13 For he has rescued us out of the darkness and gloom of Satan’s kingdom and brought us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, 14 who bought our freedom with his blood and forgave us all our sins.
Bible Translation: The Living Bible (TLB)
Wouldn’t it be glorious to see Christians pray for more than just the sick, or not just when a serious need is known throughout the community. Paul has taught us here to pray for the spiritual welfare of one another. Here are a few things that I believe we can gleam from this passage of scripture today. Imagine praying this for our Brothers and Sisters in the Lord, that God would help them:
- Seek and understand God’s will for their lives;
- Have God’s wisdom about spiritual things;
- Live to please and honor God;
- Do those things for others that God might lead them to do;
- Learn to know God better and better;
- To be so filled with God’s might and strength, that they would keep going, no matter what;
- Always be full of the joy of the Lord;
- Always be thankful to God for making them fit to live in the Kingdom of Light, because of His grace alone;
- Remember where they came from (the kingdom of darkness) into the Kingdom of God’s Son;
Notice a few things about those prayer items:
- None are geared towards yourself;
- All of them seek to draw your Christian Brother or Sister closer to the Lord, and not get richer here on earth by winning a lottery, or the likes of that;
- That each items tends to better align the person you are praying for, with his Master and Lord, Jesus Christ;
- That the Brother or sister you pray for will be so filled with Jesus, that their life would be a living testimony to their lost family and friends. In other words, by their testimony, others will be drawn to the Lord.
I can only imagine that we would then have more Christians, and more church attendees who know more about their Lord, than they do about their sports idol, or about the misfortunes of their friends. I also believe that we will see folk who are blessed beyond measure, because even though they did not spend most of their time praying for themselves, they are blessed beyond measure for lifting up the spiritual needs of a friend. I truly believe that God will bless us for praying this way, as He would to those for whom we are praying.
Lord Jesus, thank You for putting us first! For You sacrificed life itself for the eternal benefit of those who believe on You. Please help us to get outside of our own little box and concentrate more on the needs of others – particularly the spiritual needs of others. Lord, if Your people, who are known by Your name, would humble themselves and pray, you promised that You would heal our land. There is such a need right now in this world, in our country, in our towns, our churches and our homes. You have shown us through Paul’s example how we should pray for others – even those who know You as Lord already. Please help us to be faithful in our prayers for others. May Your children know more about You and Your wonderful works, than any other subject or pastime we may get involved in. May it be evident to others that You are ruler in our lives, for I ask these things wanting to see You alone receive the glory, AMEN!
If you have been challenged to make a decision today after reading this devotional, please speak with a local Bible Teaching Pastor, or contact me at NuggetsFromGodsWord@outlook.com. Allow someone to pray with you and give you help and/or encouragement as you begin, or continue your walk with Jesus. Words underlined in my blog could indicate a link to a song that came to mind as I wrote the devotional. Feel free to click on the link and listen as you continue to read or pray. If this devotional was forwarded to you and you would like to see more, please go to www.nuggetsfromgodsword.org and read more, or you may freely to subscribe for a daily email conveniently containing each day’s devotional. If you are anywhere near the Highlands County, Florida area and do not have a church home, I would be thrilled to welcome you at Bible Fellowship Church, located at 3750 Hammock Rd, Sebring, FL 33872! Click the link to check out service times and/or other special activities. God is at work among us! Please consider coming to worship with us!